Saturday, November 08, 2003

speaking of pointless argument:

the modern political philosophy class i'm taking began to touch upon human rights issues beginning monday. the prof. asked the class for thoughts on human rights and several people made comments about how the united states is the purveyor of justice and equality and peace throughout the world.

i had to disagree.

first stating a disclaimer (that i considered myself to be a nationalist), i went on to give a mini-speech that probably made me sound quite unpatriotic.

on wednesday, 5 minutes before class, one of my classmates approached me. condescendingly, this older man squeezed too tightly into overalls, lectured me about how i was wrong. that the united states was perfect. that the balance of power is solely controlled by the united states.

i wouldn't have been so annoyed had he treated me more like an academic peer and not his grandchild.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home